Monday, September 28, 2009

Seattle-Reykjavik-Paris (Marais, 4m Arrondissement)

I got into Paris Sunday afternoon, and I'm now staying in a hostel in the Marais in a converted mansion that is really, really old. We have a courtyard and free breakfast, but no wi-fi, so I've had to venture out to find it, and I'm writing this post from a wi-fi hotspot in Place des Vosges. I feel a bit conspicuous with my laptop out, but what can you do?

Paris is way more touristy than I remember. I guess it's because the last time I was here, I stayed in the 17th arrondissement, which is a pretty French one, not close to any big attractions (unless you count Montmartre, but even that is pretty far away) and it's a good place to speak French and explore little boulangeries and cafes and not see other foreigners for days. The Marais is different. I hear English everywhere I go, and I can hardly get down Rue de Rivoli with having to stop at least once so I'm not in someone's picture. Granted, I'm not an expert on Paris, but I've been here so many times that sometimes it already feels like home. Other times I feel kind of like Carrie Bradshaw in the last episode of Sex and the City - lost, confused, on my own, which, obviously, I am, although I met some girls from Calgary at the hostel who are doing the same program as me, but in Poitiers.

I have my stage (orientation) on Thursday in Essonne, the region where the town I'm teaching in is located. I'll take the metro to the RER and see how confusing it is. Today I'm searching for a place to live - this morning I made about ten phone calls to people who'd posted on pap.fr (basically French craigslist) who all said their apartments were "deja loye." Comment dit-on "homeless"? The hostel's okay for now, but I'm hoping something more permanent will work out in the next few days. In the meantime, I'm trying to get a better sense of the Marais and to get in touch with other teachers on the program.

Also, I start teaching soon. When did I become a teacher? On the plus side, when I first got to Senegal I threw up 7 times in one day, so, you know, bumming around with free baguettes and coffee in the morning isn't really a bad way to go.

On y va!

No comments:

Post a Comment