Saturday, November 28, 2009

Don't worry; they have a very lovely life.

So yesterday I was observed at work (before being paid... tell me how that makes sense), I taught They Might Be Giants' days of the week song to a class of children who can pronounce the days now (but nothing else), and I went to my nanny job until about 6. It was a long day. When I came home, my apartment was freezing, and I was so cold and exhausted that all I wanted to do was sit in front of my heater wearing yoga pants and eating Muesli out of a box. It felt pathetic and really enjoyable at the same time. Sometimes that's what living alone is all about.

However, I had made plans with a friend of mine who, after a day of teaching and then her own nanny job (we both take care of cranky little kids), was equally exhausted. We had planned to go to a concert at this bar we like near Bastille that is in a basement and kind of resembles a speakeasy, but we missed it because she got off work late, and so decided to spend our evening wearing plaid shirts and sitting in our place near her apartment, being cozy instead of pretty. It's this old brasserie way outside of the center of Paris, and it takes me a long time to get there on the metro, but sitting in a crinkly maroon booth with friendly conversation and a glass of cider, surrounded by car racing paraphernalia and the place's middle-aged clientele and the owner's puppies was the going out equivalent of Muesli and sitting in front of my heater. I can't think of a better way to end a long day in Paris.

When I got back to my apartment, I checked my bank balance for what felt like the hundredth time since I was told I'd been paid (on Wednesday), and they weren't lying, it turns out: I have officially been paid. I have euros in my French bank account. How weird to say that. And I feel so much more secure knowing I have money to spend, even if it is just on rent and groceries and occasionally going out.

Today I'm going to be sequestered in my apartment with grad school applications, and sometimes living in Paris on a tight budget can be hard, but my evening out reminded me of an episode of Sex and the City about living alone. I like Sex and the City. Anyway, so in this episode, an animal shelter opens up next to Carrie's apartment and she's woken up by a rooster crowing early in the morning. After attempting to coexist with the rooster, she talks to one of animal shelter employees, and they take the rooster inside. When Carrie says they don't have to do that, the woman replies, "Don't worry; they have a very lovely life."

This same phrase is then applied to the characters in the show, who all live alone, but, as evidenced by a rooftop party they have with transvestites in the Meatpacking District later on in the episode, do have a very lovely life.

Sex and the City may seem like a silly point of reference, but one of the things that I think the show does really well is to show what it's like to live in a big, glamorous, amazing city by yourself. It's a show about single women, and it's also about being lonely and not having everything you want even when you live in one of the coolest places in the world, and even though there's often a touch of melancholy to its descriptions of being a single woman in a big city, the entire series could be summed up in that phrase alone.

And even though my friends and I don't have a lot and we all live by ourselves in Paris, after coming home last night on the metro, I think the same can be said for us.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad the song works! I was creepily into that children's album for about a month (some of the songs are way too catchy... I still hum 'nonagon' to myself sometimes) and it's always fun when something like that turns out to be useful.

    Also, now I'm imagining a French version of Mr. Big ('Monsieur Grande'? I should have taken more than one semester of French) which would be DISASTEROUS. Considering that most of his personality virtues/flaws were steriotypically French to begin with, FMB would just leave trails of emotional devastation all through France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the song was perfect! We're actually going to record the kids singing it for their school radio station. And they loved the video!

    I think he would be Mr. Grand (masculine spelling) but I'm not sure. Must get my hands on French dubbed Sex and the City, I guess.

    ReplyDelete