Sunday, November 15, 2009

Life's a circus don't be so sad!

A few things have happened in the past few days:
1. I found out that French cobblers are really good at fixing boots.
2. Today I went to the open artist studios at 59 Rivoli with some friends. A painter sauntered into his studio and sang everything he said to us ("Helloooo, where are you froooom? Please correct my Eeeenglish! I like to paint, my name is Francesco!"), then gave us a tour of some of his work, and when one of my friends bought one of his paintings (a cheap one on a tiny piece of paper, we are teaching assistants here), he made little sketches of us at a circus. He said, "You see, life's a circus, don't be so sad."
3. Immediately after, we went to a free exhibition on war photography at l'Hotel de Ville. Some of the photographs were really effecting, but it was really crowded and poorly-organized.
4. We went to Starbucks. I know Starbucks is corporate, American, and evil, but I don't care. Nothing feels like home as much as a holiday latte consumed on the steps inside Starbucks between two of my friends while it pours outside.

It was a really good Saturday.

Life's a circus. Don't be so sad.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!
    Nothing is better than having a tiny art collection. I've got more than a few 5" paintings myself, and it makes a world of difference when it comes time to move.

    re: 4, you can still take the high road if you stay out of McDonalds. Starbucks is a much less desperate homesickness cure. (P.S. I did not manage to stay out of McDonalds when I was in England.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... we haven't stooped to McDonald's yet. But there's a chance it might happen. I love France, but sometimes you really do just want something processed and largely artificial.

    And yeah! I had never really thought about starting a mini-art collection, but it seems like it can be done pretty easily, and it's still real art!

    ReplyDelete